Standard Mental Health First Aid
who is it for?
This course teaches adults (18 years and over) how to provide initial support to other adults who are developing a mental illness or experiencing a mental health crisis.
Participants are eligible to complete an online accreditation assessment in order to receive Mental Health First Aider Accreditation valid for 3 years.
The Standard Mental Health First Aid Course has been endorsed for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points for a number of professions.
What will I learn?
The course teaches adults how to assist other adults who are developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis by using the MHFA Action Plan. Course participants will learn:
- How to recognise the signs and symptoms of common and disabling mental health problems
- How to provide initial help
- Where and how to get professional help
- What sort of help has been shown by research to be effective
- How to provide first aid in a crisis situation.
Developing mental health problems covered in this course are:
- Anxiety problems
- Substance use problems
Mental health crisis situations covered in this course are:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury (sometimes called deliberate self-harm)
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe effects of drug or alcohol use
- Severe psychotic states
- Aggressive behaviours
How long is it?
This is a 12 hour course, which can be delivered over either:
- 2 days (6 hours each day), or
- 4 sessions (3 hours each session)
How many people can attend?
We recommend that no more than 15 people attend each course as this allows participants to better engage in the course content and allows us time to respond to questions. If you have more than 15 people who you wish to train we recommend running multiple courses. Because we charge per person rather than per course this won't change the cost and will considerably improve the learning experience.
We require a minimum of 6 participants to train on site.
How much will it cost?
$230 per person. Course participants receive a MHFA manual and accreditation as a Mental Health First Aider lasting 3 years.
We also run 4 hour day refresher YMHFA courses for $90 per person.
If you are planning on holding training for more than 40 people please talk to us about possible discounts.